Friday, June 21, 2024

Naples & Caserta Vecchio

Day One. Arrival into Naples.
Evening walk through Caserta Vecchia. Keeping ourselves awake until midnight to get acclimated to the time change.




Day Two: Naples

Walked 25,000 steps in 93 degree weather. Hold none of these comments against me.

First day waking up in Italia. Forgot how hard it is to move fast around here and started the day with a fall in the bathroom as a result of my speed. Reminder to slow down. I did. Naples Day. If you’re Italian, one of your first memories might be someone in the family telling someone else to “va fa Napoli” which literally means, “go to Naples” but is idiomatic for “go to hell”. Naples is not hell but it’s not heaven either, and this was intricately explained to me at a park that overlooked the Bay of Naples in half Italian and half English by a man who could have been Jesus Christ but probably just needed a behavioral health referral. So, a lot happened, including Caesar rescuing me from some truffatore (grifters) outside the train station, avoiding, according to him, a lifetime of slavery. He was very disappointed that my Darby girl senses were compromised. Did I mention that I cracked my head on the marble wall during my bathroom fall? Enjoy the photos. Don’t ask us about pizza in Naples.



No comments:

Villa d'Este, Tivoli, Lazio, Italy

Day Sixteen: We wrap up our journey with a visit to Villa d’Este a 16th century villa commissioned by Cardinal Ippolito II d'Este (1509–...